Monday 22 February 2016

Mystique of the Indy 500

Just why do hundreds of thousands of people flock each May on Memorial Day weekend in the U.S. to a place they call The Brickyard? Just where is the Brickyard and what is it exactly? What is the appeal of this place and why do people get hooked on this one race?
In my new feature The Mystique of Indy I will attempt to explain how the Indy 500 race captured my attention and emotion.



I have never ever been to a sports venue where there has quite been this feeling that has impacted on me. Yes, many great sporting venues around the world have touched me but this one gets you and that’s the big difference - it gets you.

In my professional life as a television sport producer and director I have been lucky enough to attend many F1 Grand Prix, every Olympic Games since Atlanta 1996 and other major sports events including the Americas Cup sailing series both in Spain and San Francisco but this place, Indy, well it has some magic that’s for sure.

The warmth of the people and the passion of the locals is all a part of the giant puzzle that is Indy. Then add this magic phase “It's about tradition.”

Yes the speedway hosts other races across the season such as NASCAR events in July and until recently for two wheeled fans the Moto GP but the place is firmly known for the one race each May the 500, it is Indy and Indy is the 500.


Release of 500 balloons
For me the speedway and the Indy 500 strike so many emotions - emotions I never thought I would have about a sporting event. It even makes me go watery eyed as the countdown to the race begins.
Just entering the venue makes me tingle and feel its power. Every single day I go there, no matter when in the year, I respect and enjoy the speedway.


Travelling to the Indy 500 this year? Check out my travel guide

No comments:

Post a Comment